Monday, May 07, 2007

Bank Holiday

In my experience, Bank Holidays are usually spent going to some big commercial place that the rest of the world has also decided to go to.

Today was no exception. We went to PC world. It took us 40 mins to get out of the car park. It reminded me of a game my sister has that has loads of plastic cars and trucks on a grid, and you have to slide them around until you get the little red car out. I can't remember what the game is called.
I always used to cheat by making the cars to 3 point turns in impossibly small spaces.
According to the rules, you're only meant to make them go backwards and forewards, but that's not very lifelike, is it?!

Anyway, PC World.

I'm planning to get a laptop. A Notebook actually. I haven't yet worked out the difference yet (I phoned Mike, who helpfully said that he thought notebooks might be slightly smaller), but I prefer the name 'Notebook'. It sounds a lot more personal. But then people like my mother think I'm talking about a few hundred spiral bound lined A5 pages. So it's probably better to stick to the word 'laptop'.

There are millions of computers in PC World. I was a slightly frustrating person to be finding a computer for, because when I was asked what I wanted it to do, I kept saying things like 'play music' and 'watch DVDs' and 'word process' (hey...may as well...on the off chance that I actually decide to do some work on it).
Apparently all computers do those things.
So, instinctively, the next thing I'd look at is the colour, but I couldn't exactly say that, could I?! It would have made me look shallow, which we all know I'm not...

Anyway. After getting out of the car park and getting home, I did some research, and I've found out that there are some computers that will play music and DVDs without you having to turn them on completely. So they act like a CD player without you having to wait for all the other computery stuff to load up.

Cool, huh?

I am coming up with slightly more specific criteria. Progress.


I don't know whether I should actually admit to something like this, but this afternoon, I actually spent more time researching laptop bags than the actual laptops.
To be honest though, it's easier to see a difference between the bags than between the laptops.


But looking back on today, I think it might have been more worthwhile going to Ikea. I mean, it's impossible to leave Ikea without buying anything (even if the things are a cactus and a hotdog) so at least we wouldn't have come home empty handed.

4 Comments:

At 5:31 pm, Blogger Theoden said...

Hey could not resist giving you some advice on this.

Firstly i would say avoid PC world and most highstreet retailers for that matter as they generally overcharge and most of the staff have very little technical expertise.

I would prob advice dell for notebooks as they give decent options are customisable and fairly good value for money. However HP are Acer are quite good.

Go here: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

I would advice the entertainment range either the 6400 or the 120gb 1501, depends on how much storage you want. Of course it also depends on your budget. I am guessing you are not wanting a gaming machine? If you are then you will want one of the XPS ones.

I look forward to seeing what you get.

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger Anna said...

Oooh....thank you!

I did actually have a look at the Dell website the other day (the computer I'm typing this on is a Dell desktop, and my Dad has a number of Dell laptops over the years that all seemed to last pretty well).

They look pretty cool. I especially liked the one with the multimedia buttons on the front...(I think that was the 6400 you were talking about).

But I really want to feel the keyboards...

Our other desktop has a really stiff keyboard (you have to hammer it really hard) and I hate using it for that reason....


I'm not into gaming. Unless you count tetris. ;-)

 
At 8:48 pm, Blogger ianbee said...

I think a nice laptop bag will make you happy. You could fill it with bricks and no-one will know! You might even save enough money to be able to buy several different laptop bags, for different occasions. Then you could buy a notebook and nice pen for your writing. :o)

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Anna said...

Wow.

You make an excellent point Ian, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home