Monday, November 06, 2006

Toaster Heat

Do you know how irritating it can be, having a scientist for a father?

Probably not, so I'll tell you.


He is into global warming, and climate change, and saving energy in a big way.

Which I think is commendable. And I am into those things as well.

(Think back to the solar panels posts earlier...I'm putting up with cold showers when it's cloudy. Actually, he's switched it over to so that it's partly heated by the boiler now! =D )

Since we just got a real fire put in, Dad has decided that we don't need the central heating on yet. (Hence the fact that I'm sleeping with 3 duvets...).

This morning I came downstairs to eat breakfast in the kitchen, and it was FREEZING. So I asked Dad when he was planning to put the heating on. He said, 'Not yet! Don't be silly! You're such a wimp! It's 17C in here!'.

17C. That is below room temperatue. And I'm normally still cold at room temperature. I must have bad circulation or a slow metabolism or something.

So I went and plugged in a fan heater and switched it on, to try and make it bearable in there.

Then he said, 'You have no concept of energy, do you?'

(Btw, dnt you think it's a bit silly to say that to an AS Physics student? I must have some concept of energy....even if it is a bit flawed. Just coz i don't have a stuffy Physics PhD thing from Imperial College. Honestly... *sigh*)

So I said, 'Yes, I do actually.'

Then he looked at me and said, 'Well then, you'd know that the heater is 1000W.'

I smiled and nodded. (I did know it was 1000W. I just didn't really know how big that was).

He said, 'You know a light bulb is 60W, right?'
Erm...yes.....

'Think how many light bulbs that heater is equivalent to.'

..........*silence*................

'Do you care about global warming or not?'

I told him that I do care about global warming, I just care more about my own warming.

The I went and put some toast in the toaster, and he took the opportunity to dart across the room and turn off the heater.

I gave him an evil look.

'Well, the toaster is throwing out loads of heat now. You don't need the heater and the toaster. Don't you think thats a bit extravagant? Why don't you just put an extra jumper on?'


Weirdo.

Nobody uses a toaster to heat their house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home