Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Miss Great Britain 2007

I had a look at the contendors....and would advise you all not to.


It's embarrassing.


There are 50 finalists, and only 9 of them are dressed in a way that I would consider...well....consider dressed.


And this may make me sound really horrible, but there are a few who, in my opinion, aren't even that attractive.




I am cultured enough (actually I've just seen Miss Congeniality) to know that to be Miss Whoever, you have to be more than just pretty, so I clicked on their pictures to try and find out more about them.


They have to list Achievements, Talents, Interests & Hobbies, Ambitions and Experience.


Most of them have nothing under the 'Interests and Hobbies' section. The few who have filled it in, wrote things like 'Fashion' or 'Make Up'.


Under 'Achievements', the thing that comes up most often is having been in magazines. And we're not talking National Geographic or New Scientist, or even Gardener's World here... names like Zoo, Maxim, The Sun, Max Power, Nuts.... which of course mean nothing to me (*ahem*) but perhaps you know what they are...


Don't get me wrong though, they didn't only mention the magazines they've appeared in - there were other things too; one girl listed the fact that she has an A level (emphasis on 'an'), and another, perhaps my personal favourite, said, 'I was a member of the girl band 'Candy', the rivals of 'Kandifloss' (Chantelle from Celeb Big Brother's band)'. Wow. What an achievement.


Under 'Talents', one girl listed pole dancing. I hope you're all duly impressed.


The 'Ambitions' section was largely left empty...... perhaps they have none? Surely they could have thought of at least writing something like 'Becoming Miss Great Britain 2007'...?

The people who wrote something mostly just said that they wanted 'to have a happy life'. One girl wrote, 'to be able to say I've achieved everything I wanted to achieve', except she spelt it 'echieve' instead. And perhaps it would have been more constructive to give us a flavour of what those things actually are.


Some people filled in their whole profiles using no capital letters or punctuation of any kind. I'm pleased to report that most of the spelling appeared to be at least phonetically correct though. =)



Having said all this, there's one girl who seems really nice, and I really hope she wins. She's very pretty, and is actually wearing clothes in her picture. Her first listed achievement is 'having two beautiful children', and the second is 'graduating from college'.



Good luck to her!

Argh. Am I really horrible for slagging them off like this?

I'm in the middle of AS exams. It's been raining all day. I had a really hard Physics practical exam and didn't get home til almost 5:30. I'm tired.

Does the fact that I don't consider pole dancing much of a talent, or that I don't consider passing 1 A level a particularly great achievement make me a snob?!

Apparently they are looking for the 2008 Miss Great Britain, and anyone can apply.

I'll be 18 by then... what do you think....?! ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home