Thursday, November 08, 2007

Gimme More

I just watched Britney's new music video...

In English Lit today, in between discussing existentialism, and fatalism, we touched on her new single, and a few people in the class seemed to be of the opinion that it is the best thing since Chris Brown's last song-rap thing. (Apparently Chris Brown is 'Safe...innit').

So I thought I'd at least give it a go before dismissing it as yet another money making publicity stunt that glorifies an unhealthy view of sexuality and the objectification of women.
Because I am, after all, a very tolerant person. ; )

It's thoroughly predictable. A very unimaginative melody, with even less imaginative lyrics. The words 'gimme' and 'more' make up about two thirds of the lyrics.

And I didn't really understand what was going on...
She was dancing, obviously. But I really didn't get why she was so close to a pole. I mean, surely, it would get in the way. And there is always the obvious risk of banging ones head in the middle of ones power grind...
I also didn't get why she spent at least the first two minutes (that's all I watched) of the song asking someone/something (the pole?) to give her 'more'. More of what?
Obviously, knowing Britney, there must be a really deep symbolism in that. I am just too uneducated and insensitive to grasp the metaphor.

The thing that concerned me though, is the fact that for the middle of November, she wasn't wrapped up very warmly. I mean, she hasn't been particularly well recently... she should look after herself properly, and get some layers on.
Though with her stressful family situation, and all the court cases, perhaps she's short of money and can't afford a lovely warm winter coat? Come to think of it, there were a lot of holes in her tights...

Poor girl.


I'd post a link to the video, but I really don't think you should watch it, to be honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home