Friday, May 19, 2006

I miss Blockbuster

Do you remember ages ago when I used to write blog entries about my weekly trips to Blockbuster???

Well, the reason I haven't written about it is because the tradition suddenly came screeching to a halt about half a year ago when we joined an online DVD rental thing. This may make me sound a few decades older, but advances in technology aren't always good things.

Don't get me wrong, it is handy having DVDs sent right to the front door, and then just having to walk to the post box at the end of the road, rather than the whole way back to the High Street to return it.
It just feels a bit empty and automated, thats all.

Also, when I add DVDs to the list on the website, I might add something I feel like watching at the time (eg: Action Film), but then, by the time it arrives, I actually feel like watching a Chick Flick.

Whereas with Blockbuster, you normally go there the night you're going to watch the film, so you know what you want to watch. Obviously, being an adolescent girl, I am quite prone to mood swings, but normally I still used to feel like watching the same film by the time I'd got home.

Also, Bockbuster has a nice friendly feel to it. Like going to a corner shop to buy milk, instead of getting a bus to a supermarket.

Ohhhh....I'm getting more and more old fashioned every day. I accidently agreed with something on the conservative manifesto the other day. Obviously I didn't realise I was agreeing with it at the time, otherwise I would have changed my opinion or something... (Just don't tell anyone that please...)

ANYWAY my reason for telling you all this is
a) because I haven't written anything on here in a while, and I don't want it to start feeling like one of those derelict industrial estates in a run down area of North London.
and b) because tonight I will either be watching Forever Young, or 50 First Dates, because those are the 2 DVDs that have been sent at the moment.

Forever Young is about a guy who gets frozen in Cryptonite (is that how you spell it?!) by his friend in an experiment, but then his friend accidently forgets to defrost him, and then gets killed by a car. Then people discover this frozen man 60 years later, and defrots him, and he lives OK, but he goes off in search of his girlfriend, and she's really old, but he was miraculously preserved by the cryptonite.It was released 1992 so the special effects will probably be rubbish... Its got Mel Gibson and Jamie Lee Curtis in it.



50 First Dates is about a playboy who tries to get with a woman who has short term memory loss. So he has to make her fall in love with him every day, coz she keeps forgetting who he is. (Which must be frustrating). So thats why they have 50 'first dates'....she never remembers any of the other dates. Presumably they eventually get married and live happily ever after (if they don't, I don't wanna watch it...). It was released in 2004, so it will have better special effects (though I dunno what they will need them for with a story like that...) and it has Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore in it.


So, what will it be?
Adam Sandler is more attractive than Mel Gibson, but what if Forever Young is a better story?

Anyway, since I'm not watching this alone, I'll let my sister choose. She's a control freak, but she gets less satisfaction when she's given the control (as opposed to having to fight for it). So maybe I should put up a bit of a fight first?

I'll tell ya how it ends.


I feel sorry for you lot having to read this. Some people write interesting blogs.

I'll try and have something exciting happen to me tomorrow so I can write about it here and be less of a waste of fibre optic cables and servers and whatever else the internet is made of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home