Sunday, November 12, 2006

Remembrance Sunday

Today is Remembrance Sunday.

I always get a bit philosophical around Remembrance Day.

Every year, I get closer to the age of the people who were sent out to fight in the wars. This year, some of my friends would have been sent out to fight. Thats so young.

I am nowhere near ready to die. I'm not afraid to die, but I haven't finished living yet. I still have a lot of things that I want to do. Places I want to visit, goals I want to achieve, things I want to experience.

There are people who sacrificed their lives so that I can have the life that I'm enjoying now.
Thats a really big deal.

"When you go home
Tell them of us and say,
'For your tomorrow,
We gave our today.'"

There aren't many war veterans still alive, and every year there are fewer. I think it's really important that we continue to remember the people who died in the wars - especially after there are no people who lived through them still around to remind us of what they had to go through to earn the freedom we take for granted today.

'They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn;
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home