Monday, May 22, 2006

My Floor

Well.....

You know how I said on Friday that I'd get something exciting to happen to me on Saturday so I could have something interesting to write about here? I dunno if this is exciting, but its something that took so long that I couldn't write until now (Monday morning). Actually, its still not finished.

On Saturday morning I woke up (like usual) and wondered what my bedroom floor would look like without a carpet on it (not like usual). Before I'd even had breakfast, I had ripped up part of the carpet to see what the floor boards looked like. They looked OK, so after breakfast I ripped up the rest of the carpet. (With parental consent. In case you were worried.)

It took AGES. We had to chop the carpet into lots of little peices, which made a huge mess. Also, when we put that carpet in, years ago, we didn't bother taking the original carpet away. So it was like a carpet on top of a carpet. So we actually had to take out 2 carpets. Everything in my room is covered in about 2mm of dust at the moment.

Anyway, once we'd got all the carpet out of my room, and shoved it messily in the bathroom, we put all my furniture back and cleared everything up.

The thing was, the floor wasn't all the same colour. You know how in the Victorian Age (or similar) they used to have rugs in the middle of the room, and then they painted the bits of the floor that weren't covered by the rug?! Thats what the floor was like. It had a big white (or natural wood colour) patch in the middle, and the edges were all dark brown where they had been painted.

That didn't really bother me, but my dad came up and said it didn't look very good, and that I'd have to sand it all down. (Yes, the whole floor). So he went down to B&Q and got an electric sander, which was really fortunate, because imagine how long it would have taken me to sand it all with one of those little sanding blocks you use for model sheep and other small wooden things!

It still took ages though. Actually I should have said that in the present tanse because it is still taking ages. I haven't finished. Its quite painful too, because it vibrates your whole body (and the whole house). I feel like I don't have a hand print anymore because all the little lines have been rubbed off by the vibrations.

And, it put a lot more dust over everything.

I have a small patch of floor to sand still, but mum said I probably shouldn't start til 9 to give the neighbours a chance to wake up of their own accord.

After I finish the sanding, I have to paint the floor as well. Actually, I'm 'staining' the floor. (I'll use technical terms). I didn't want to varnish it or paint it, coz then it will be shiny, and how annoying would it be to not be able to see where I'm walking, because I'm dazzled by the glare coming off the floor? I spent ages choosing the colour. You would not believe how many different shades of brown there are....! I couldn't decide between 'Dark Rosewood', 'Walnut' and 'Burnt Oak'. In the end I picked 'Walnut' because I was bored of looking at tins of paint, and that shade of brown seemed to be half way between the other two. Also, its quick drying. Which is also good.

And I've decided I'm gonna paint over all the marks on my walls as well. Not with the brown! With the left over paint we have in the shed from when we painted it before. AND I'm gonna paint the skirting boards as well. (Yes, I do know what they are called.) AND I know that you don't use the same paint. There are separate tins of paint for walls and for wood.

So....wish me luck.

I have a GCSE exam tomorrow, so I need to get this done ASAP so I can revise...

P.S On Friday I ended up watching Forever Young. Kinda silly, but alright I spose. And I was wrong, the effects were actually quite good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home