Friday, June 22, 2007

Reading

Today I went to the Reading University Open Day.

It was alright. Just not as alright as it was in the prospectus. And yeah, I know the whole point of a prospectus is to make the university look better than it is, but i just hadn't expected the real thing to be that different.
I'm still an 'Open Day Newbie'...it was my first one. I'll learn!

I still think it's a good university.

Just now I'm slightly more interested to see what Edinburgh is like! ;-)

Coz, you know, it would be nice to be in a proper city. There would be more to do. And I'd get an MA instead of a BA.

I have had some slightly concerned people telling me that Edinburgh is one of the drug capitals of the world. But I've never heard that before, and to be honest, I don't think that should necessarily put me off. After all, in the borough I live in at the moment, we are meant to have one of the largest underage binge drinking problems in the UK. And 1 in 3 under 18 year olds who are sexually active have chlamydia. (I think. Or some other similar disease).

And I'm pleased to tell you that I don't have either of those problems.
So I think it's reasonable to assume that even if I move to Edinburgh, I won't necessarily become a druggie.

And Scotland is meant to be a nice place, right? I've never been, but Sandi Thom and Paolo Nutini are Scottish, and they are pretty cool.

In fact, nearly all the people I know who are associated with Scotland are pretty cool, which is more than I can say for the people I know who are associated with England (though possibly because I know more English people. Haha).

And, since I've never been to Scotland, I like to assume that most of the guys there look like Paolo Nutini. In which case, I don't know why I haven't already moved there.


So... now for the clincher....

Will I be able to pick up a convincing Scottish accent in 4 years?!

4 Comments:

At 9:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just discovered you have a blog!!! Anways Ive got friends at reading and edinburgh. Ive heard better things about reading!

 
At 10:43 pm, Blogger ianbee said...

anna. Edinburgh is the most beautful city in Britain, and it is the best university in the whole world. Honestly - Reading, what were you thinking! i graduated a while ago but i know a couple of friendly girls who are still students if you want to ask anything, i can give you their emails. i came here from london and no-one has beaten me up yet ... and there is no hint of a scottish accent, although i say 'aye' occasionally and all the scots laugh :o)

 
At 11:36 am, Blogger Theoden said...

Ooh how did i manage to miss this post. You came to Reading, sucks that you did not like it... though if you spent your day in HumSS i pity you. What hall did you go to see?

 
At 5:26 pm, Blogger Anna said...

I've never been to Edinburgh, but in pictures, it looks beautiful.

I did go to a few lectures in the HumSS Building. It's even shabbier than the school I'm in at the moment, which is saying something. It looked like they weren't even TRYING to make it look nice. I mean, there were some curtains which were half falling down. Surely that's not hard (or expensive) to fix?! Expecially if you're having an open day where you're trying to get new people to join...

To be honest, I'm a very 'city' person, and I was expecting Reading to be more of a city.

However, Reading has a MASSIVE library. It's got like, 5 floors. And the bookshelves are very high and close together, and when you walk down them, lights come on like in the Matrix.

It's just that I'd envisaged doing more than just walking up and down bookshelves to get thrills when I'm at university.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home