Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I Quit Chemistry!!!

Yep, I did it!

I've hated AS Chemistry since I started it, and I started to realise that I wasn't really getting anywhere with it, and that I don't enjoy it, and that the only reason I was doing it was so that I could get into medical school. Which eventually stopped seeming like a good reason to me.

I mean, if it's so important that they specify that you MUST have Chemistry A2 (and for most universities, thats the only subject they specify) do I really want to spend 7 years of my life (and run up a £20,000 debt) doing something that I'm not really going to enjoy, and that I'm going to find really stressful because I'm always going to be struggling to understand it?
The answer to that is, 'probably not'.

So, I quit Chemistry. I thought I'd have to fight to get them to allow it, but both the head of 6th form and the head of academics were both really supportive. Much more supportive than I thought they would be (considering I have wasted a whole term doing chemistry, I've been entered for a Chemistry AS Exam in January, and I'm asking to start a new subject and catch up on a term's worth of work). But it was great. They kept saying, 'Yes Anna.....definitely.....as long as you're happy.......whatever you'd prefer.......', and even, 'Did your chemistry teacher upset you? Would you like us to have a word with him about it'.
I just smiled graciously, but with a slightly hunted expression on my face which, I hope, indicated that the whole 'chemistry experience' had been terribly traumatic for me, but that I was willing to suffer in silence, and just quietly get on with the decade of therapy it would take for me to get over it.

I had my first french lesson yesterday. It was a bad day to join, because they were doing a listening exam. So I had to do an exam in a subject when I haven't actually been taught any of it yet. It was a bit scary, but I managed to pick up some of the conversation. (Believe it or not, the people on the tape speak even faster at AS than they do at GCSE!)


But yes. This is the start of a new era for me.

I am no longer planning to do medicine.


And it feels GREAT!

My life has an element of 'unknown' again. =)

Btw, if you type 'I hate chemistry' into Google, you get 1,280,000 results.
And it manages to find all of them in about 0.12 seconds. That's fast.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home