Saturday, October 15, 2005

Half the weekend is over already!!!!

I did abt 2 hours of revision!!!
Dad helped me, so in theory, I understand it all now. We went the whole way through the revision list.... v. time consuming.

Then I decided to cook, since mum was out. I chose to make spaghetti bolognese, but I couldnt find it in the recipe book, so I thought I'd make it up. (I mean, how hard can it be, right?! .......WRONG!!!)

I started off cooking the meat (always a gd idea, I wouldnt want to give anyone salmonella...). While the meat was cooking, I cut up the onions. (Multi tasking...v. impressive!). I was about to cut up the mushrooms and peppers, but I remembered we had those handy bags of ready cut frozen vegetables that you can get from shops.

I put the onions in with the meat (which I had been stirring every now and then, while I excavated the freezer). Then I put the frozen vegetables in the microwave to defrost them. (You may think this was pointless, as I was going to cook them anyway, but there was a gd reason for it. I just cant remember it....).

Then I started looking in all the cupboards for that tomato sauce that comes in a jar. I couldnt find any.... I had a momentary panic, but then I thought I'd make my own. Home made stuff is always more healthy than ready made shop stuff... Unfortunately I didnt have a left over jar to read ingredients off the back, so I decided to improvise.

I got a tin of chopped tomatoes and put it in the liquidiser to make it even more chopped up, and then I added herbs (Im assuming thats what the green stuff in the jars is...). It was more liquid than the stuff that comes in the jar, so I wondered how I could make it more 'sauce-like'.

I thought back to my days of doing food technology at school, and remembered that you have to put flour or cornflour or something like that in when you make a sauce, so it goes thicker. I put some self raising flour in (we ran out of plain flour when we made pancakes at lunch!), but is still didnt look right, so I added some corn flour. It went really orange.

I called Dad, and told him it looked a bit odd. He asked what I put in, and said it sounded about right, so it probably wouldnt kill us. I started looking around the kitchen for something to make it go back to red. I didnt wanna use food colouring, coz I thought it might taste funny, and also - it would totally kill the natural/healthy/home-madeness of it all. I was considering adding ketchup (which is unhealthy, according to my H&SC teacher), but the I thought of adding tomato puree. (Coz its 100% tomato isnt it?!). Anyway, that made it a bit redder, so then I added it to the meat and vegetables. (Which amazingly hadnt got too burnt while I was looking for red ingredients...).

Then Mum came back, so I was gonna hand the whole mess over to her, but she and dad had to go out straight away. My brother and sister started complaining about wanting food, and I couldnt really be bothered to make spaghetti, so I thought of something else in the carbohydrate group that would be quicker. I shoved some bread in the toaster (Im a culinary GENIUS!) and then tipped the toast onto plates and poured the reddish-orange-meaty-vegetable stuff on top. Then I said they could watch a video in my room (which can be made VERY dark), turned off the lights, and handed them the plates.

The reddish-orange-meaty-vegetable stuff looked a bit more like bolognese sauce in the dark, and neither of them thought of asking why it was on toast and not spaghetti. They just asked me to make more toast, which I can handle.

I am SO domesticated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home