Monday, January 01, 2007

New Laws.... =)

The Government is raising the minimum age for buying cigarettes.

It's been a while since a new law has come out that actually has the potential to oppress me in some way.

But you know what? I don't feel oppressed. Nevertheless, I still feel I have some right to make my voice my opinion on this new initiative.

I think it's an excellent idea. To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced that it will make a huge amount of difference, but I still think it's a good idea.

My classmates have been able to obtain cigarettes for years now; and technically they should only have been able to buy them for about a year.

Based on my personal experience, since I am too lazy to do any official research on the matter, most of my friends who currently smoke started before they were 16 anyway. And although they are still 16/17, I think they will still be smoking when the new law comes into effect in October. They'll get hold of their fags somehow. They managed it before, and they'll manage it again. After all, they are older now, and in theory, more intelligent and more capable of fooling whoever is manning the till at the local off licence/petrol station.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home