Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Women ARE better drivers.

I got some junk mail this morning from a company called 'Sheila's Wheels' offering me car insurance.
It was kind of them, but I guess whoever sold them my address failed to mention that I'm only 16, and therefore unable to drive. Actually, no. Not unable. I think I'm perfectly capable of driving. More capable than many men twice my age.

Anyway, the letter said that according to Datamonitor - UK Motor Insurance 2004/5, 97% of dangerous driving offences are committed my men, 85% of careless driving offences are committed by men, and 83% of speed limit offences are committed by men.
SO THERE.

Its actually quite a good service they offer. The part I like the most is that they saidtheir car insurance is 'Cheaper for the ladies - more expensive for the guys', and that 'It may sound little unfair on the blokes, but no more than you having to pay extra for your car insurance to cover their bad driving.'

They also offer extra cover for handbag thefts. Most companies will only pay up to £100, but this one pays up to £300, as well as cover for personal belongings of up to £200.
They have (I quote) 'Non-Patronising Garages' and a 24 hour counselling service. Presumably the counselling service is to do with crashes and other road related incidents. Not just if your cat dies or something....

You may be wondering why I was reading my junk mail. Its mostly because I've been sick for about 3 days now (that fever thats been going round) and I was bored out of my mind. Its also because its not often that I receive junk mail (or any mail) through the front door. Except for letters from the bank. Which I class as junk mail.

I was so bored that I watched Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen. Again. And I watched Christmas with the Kranks yesterday. But I also watched the new Pride and Prejudice today which was really good. I thought that I might not like it, coz I really like the BBC one which is about 6 hours long, and the new one has been squished into about 3 hours. It was really good though. I'll admit, if you're used to seeing Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle as Darcy and Lizzie, it does take quite a major brain shift to get used to seeing them acted by other people - but its worth it. If you like Pride and Prejudice, I really recommend it. I wouldn't recommend the book though. We did it for English Literature coursework and its THE MOST BORING BOOK I'VE EVER TRIED TO READ. So most of us just watched the DVD and wrote the essay on that.
(A word of warning to anyone else who trys this: Mr Darcy doesn't dive into the lake in the book. So don't write about it in your essay. It didn't take me long to edit though! =D)
Actually, I think that Colin Firth is a better Mr Darcy than Matthew Macfayden. But maybe thats just the Bridget Jones in me...?!

And about the experiment mentioned in my last post, many people are not taking it seriously. I get friends giving me false reports. Well, they're either lying, or 'oestrous' all the time. Both of which could have quite serious consequences...
But this will not put me off. Einstein's teachers said he was thick, and would never amount to anything. His work was always ridiculed, and yet, look what he was able to accomplish.
If my friends won't help me, I'll just have to buy a lot of guinea pigs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home