Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Banana Ketchup

I have a Froogle wishlist!!!

I forgot about that!

I can't remember making it.

At first, I thought it couldn't be mine, and there must be someone with the same name as me.

But then I realised that they couldn't have the same e-mail address as me, so it must have been my wishlist from a while ago. (I know.....just call me Sherlock!)

Also, it had the kind of things on it that I would probably put on a wishlist.
Like stripey socks. And a hippy van.
And BANANA KETCHUP!!!!!

I bet you didn't know that existed. (Even if you did, pretend you didn't so that I can feel good about myself.)

And I bet you want to know more about it...so I did a little bit of research for you.

Wikipedia has the following to say about Banana Ketchup (my comments are in red):

"Banana Ketchup is made in the Philippines [but presumably it can be made anywhere that you can get hold of bananas, right?] from bananas [...no kidding...], mashed, with sugar, vinegar, and spices and red food colouring [is that just so that it looks like normal ketchup? coz personally, I think that yellow is a much less aggressive colour, and therefore something that I would feel more comfortable putting on my food. Maybe.]. It was said to have been invented during the Japanese Occupation [so it wasn't actually invented by Filipinos?] of the country, 1942-45, when American-made condiments became virtually impossible to find [Why were the Japanese people looking for American condiments? What?! I'm confused...]. It began to be mass produced in the 1950s and achieved widespread use in the 1970s. [If it's widespread, why isn't it available in Asda? Or Tesco? Or the Indian corner shop where we buy milk? Those places sell EVERYTHING.]"

Hmmmm......

"It is often used as dressing for Filipino fried chicken [Also made in the Philippines, I'll bet...](not breaded) [I'm guessing thats important...] and mixed with local copies of Worcestershire Sauce [Worcestershire is in England. That's not local to the Philippines.]. Banana ketchup is also mixed with mayonnaise to be used as a salad dressing. It is also used as an ingredient in Filipino spaghetti [Spaghetti is Italian. Except for Filipino spaghetti, which is Filipino.], instead of spaghetti sauce. This spaghetti is unique in that it's normally sprinkled with grated cheddar cheese and diced hotdog, vienna sausage, or in some cases, corned beef [It's also unique in that it is Filipino and not Italian]."


Anyway.

Bananas........sugar........ vinegar..........spices.........food colouring........

Those are all household ingredients.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!



Ready, Steady, COOK!
.......as Ainsley would say.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home